Voice Geek Conference – Sunday 29th April 2018
Developments in Singing Pedagogy – From Theory to Practice
About the Voice Geek Conference
The purpose of this conference is to spotlight research, generate ideas and embrace creativity. It is driven by an ethos of inclusivity and a pressing pedagogical need to link theory to practice.
- To give a voice to those who have engaged in pedagogical research
- To bridge the gap between theory and practice
- To generate discussion through a formalised panel and informal networking opportunities
- To invite key influential speakers
- To give a voice to doctoral/postdoctoral level research
- To give a platform for small-scale projects. This may be research undertaken independently as well as work linked to an academic institution
- Kenneth Bozeman
Keynote Address Title:
Correlating Sources, Historic Pedagogy, Voice Science, & Innate Response to Expressive Impulse
- Dr Jenevora Williams – From ivory towers to grass roots: how research informs practice.
- Sara Gourlay – Singing Rehabilitation: The Singer’s Road to Recovery. Click Here to find out more
- Dane Chalfin – Endoscopic Interpretation of Singing Gestures
Format of the day
The day is structured to enable new researchers to flourish alongside established, leading pedagogues. New researchers with small-scale projects will speak alongside established pedagogues.
Call for Papers – Now open
Papers are solicited in all aspects of singing pedagogy but we especially welcome papers that bridge the gap between theory and practice.
- Abstracts and bibliography must be emailed to Deestallan@voiceworkshop.co.uk
- Abstracts must be no more than 300 words long.
- No more than three abstracts can be submitted per author
- When submitted to the selection panel; the author’s name will be removed.
- Best Student Paper
- Best Paper
Important dates for the diary
Deadline for paper submission: Friday 5th January 2018
Notice of acceptance: Friday 26th January 2018
Author registration deadline for inclusion in the programme: Friday 16th February 2018
Day conference: £95 (VAT inclusive) including tea, coffee and lunch.
Student rate £75 (VAT inclusive) relevant ID required.
Venue – Firstsite, Lewis Gardens, High Street, Colchester, Essex CO1 1JH.
Times approx. 9 – 6pm.
Sarah Gorlay - Find out more
Sara is a speech and language therapist and trained classical singer currently working as an independent practitioner helping singers with vocal problems back to vocal health. She lectured under and postgraduate trainee speech & language therapists at City University until she was offered a place as a postgraduate singer at Trinity College of Music, graduating in 2012. She now combines both careers, performing as much as possible and providing support to singers with vocal problems through education and voice therapy.
She organises the Canto Lecture Series and Canto Courses and Workshops; aimed at bringing the artistic and scientific communities together to share expertise about the singing voice in a collaborative way.
Sara conducts the Chromatics Community Choir and the Cuckoo Chorus ( a choir for people with Parkinson’s disease) and performs as a soloist for many choral societies including The Grove Singers of London, Heathfield Choral Society, Sussex Chorus, Eastbourne Choral Society, East Sussex Bach Choir, Burgess Hill Choral Society, All Saints Musicians in Lewes and Seaford Choral Society. Sara is also an active member of the East Sussex committee for Dementia UK and Admiral Nurses who support carers and those with dementia.
Hotel Accommodation Suggestions for Voice Geek Conference
Sunday 29th April 2018
|Name||Postcode||Distance From Event||Approx Prices||Telephone|
|George Hotel||CO1 1TD||0.2||£75 – £90||01206 578494|
|Brook Red Lion Hotel||CO1 1TD||0.2||£63 – £92||01206 577986|
|North Hill Hotel||CO1 1PY||0.5||£70 – £100||01206 574001|
|Blue Ivy Hotel||CO1 1DZ||0.5||£70 – £100||01206 573005|
|Premier Inn Colchester Town Centre||CO1 1EW||0.5||£60 – £75||0871 5279506|
|Rose & Crown||CO1 2TZ||0.6||£70 – £90||01206 866677|
|Premier Inn Central||CO1 1UT||1.7||£60 – £75||0871 5278258|
|Premier Inn A12||CO4 9WP||3||£60 – £75||0871 5278260|
Voiceworkshop is not responsible for the recommended hotels